Management

Logout | View Home Page

Emergency & Contingency Plans

usat10sanctionedevent color

Races are rain or shine unless we determine that race conditions are dangerous. This will be based on a prudent decision made on race management in consultation with local safety officials. Every effort will be made to conduct the race; if the race is cancelled there will be no refunds. This position is consistent with USAT recommendations and with the protocol of sharing the risks associated with the sport of triathlon. Each athlete must accept any such risk for their entry fee paid including other amenities paid for such as t-shirts, insurance, and online administrative fees. All fees collected are used to develop and produce the event, including all race supplies. In the event of inclement weather, Acts of God, or unforeseen circumstances, we reserve the right to alter, cancel or eliminate any/all portions of the race. The following procedure will be followed:

  • The race director in consultation with local safety officials will make the final decision to delay, adjust or cancel the race.
  • The decision will be posted on the website and communicated at the race venue via the PA announcing system.
  • In the event of unsafe swim conditions the event will be changed to a duathlon. 

In the case of an emergency please dial 911. Safety personnel will be on site to attend to any emergencies before, during and after the race. Lifeguards will be monitoring the swim course and volunteers in conjunction with park ranger and other safety personnel will be monitoring the bike and run course. Volunteers will be instructed to contact 911 in the case of an emergency.


Inclement Weather Plan:

In the case of rain and thunderstorms on race day we will enact the following safety measures, which will help keep athletes safe and have been developed by our safety professionals in consultation with USAT triathlon. Our goal is to do everything in our power to host a complete race. We will delay or shorten race courses if only if necessary. Cancellation is our very last resort and will only be considered after all of the following measures have been taken on race day.  

  • In the case of only rain or clear weather we will plan for an on-time starts and complete all races as planned.  
  • In the case of lightning we will delay the race starts to at least 30 minutes after the last lightning strike within the area. We will not race on course if lightning is present, but will continue to race when the lightning ceases and has moved from the area.  
  • If lightning is present during a race we will stop the race and pull athletes off the course. Athletes wishing to continue may get back on course 30 minutes after the last lightning strike. Any racer wanting to continue on to the bike or run will do so at their own risk. Racers will not be allowed to swim with lightning present. Once we are clear of lightning we will restart or continue the race.
  • In the case of prolonged lightning and storms in the area, we will start races later in the day and potentially adjust race distances by shortening them.
  • If inclement weather is predicted we may adjust race courses, race distances or eliminate segments of the race so to keep athletes safe and close to our base camp and shelter in the case of quickly approaching storms.